Monday, April 30, 2012

To give me a ulcer, or to give me the most rewarding experience

Dark Souls Rant

   You died. Yep I saw it again, for the 78th time...So here's your review of Dark Souls, not a full fleshed out one that everyone and their brother can give you, but a Benny special. The game is simply amazing the graphics, the game play, the online(from what I understand still in Afghan.) and my only complaint is the lack of any music.
   All of that being said about this game, I'M GOING TO THROW IT OUT THE WINDOW! Seriously I'm all for bringing a challenge back to my video games. I'm tired of putting in the latest triple A title and blowing through it on hard in 2 days. So its very refreshing to be working on the same game for two weeks now. But do we have to go to such a extreme. The game is already insanely difficult with the regular enemies able to take you down in 2 swings. The difficulty by itself is so insane to cause you to throw the game out a window, but throw in the death penalties. I have played MMORPG's with less harsh death rules. When you die you lose all your humanity and souls. Both of which play very rare and hard to come by currencies in this game. Your given one chance to get your things back, by recovering them where you died. If you die again on the way there; that's it you've lost it forever.
   Its just too much! I hate to think that I'm whining or complaining, but you make a insane amount of progress, the gets more and more tense as you go because your gaining more and more humanity and souls, only to eventually lose them to some random skeleton who was hiding in the dark that you didn't see and back stabs you.
   I don't think very many, if any, people are reading this yet as I havent advertised that I'm writing it yet, but if anyone does read it, what do you think. Is there a point where games are just too punishing? Or is this a favored change and more and more games should go this way.






-BP

No comments:

Post a Comment