Thursday, May 31, 2012

Back with projects up and running!

Hey its our temp little monster logo!
   I haven't written a post in a while, but there is a good reason for that. My wife and I have officially launched Eligible Monster! That is what we are calling our collective of Pod casts, YouTube videos and blog posts!

   So with that said, find Eligible Monster TERA Podcast on I-Tunes, or First Episode
Now we're going to be putting up some videos on the YouTube channel by the end of the week!

Now without further delay, on with my rant!

 Stamina Bars Suck Ass!

These are my hoe's, the one missing her arms is half off...
    Was there a meeting with all the big game developers where they decided that every game needed some form of Stamina?  Just because in real life I'd be winded swinging a sword in circles three times does not mean I want to get winded in Dark Souls when I swing my giant claymore. Games are my escape from reality. In games I want to swing my sword nine hundred times and never be winded! In video games I want to jump twenty feet into the air while doing a back flip and all of this be in slow motion! None of this is possible in real life and that's why its awesome!
You'll put your eye out kid!
   So this brings me to the game that has brought on this rant and the game which is displayed to the right there, Dead Island! When it comes to Dark Souls as annoying as the stamina bar was, the entire game was just there to punish you and make you cry. This makes the stamina bar just another punishing aspect of the game. But when you take a game like Dead Island, where your entire purpose is to beat down zombies until there's blood splattered across every wall, door and ceiling, and add in a stamina bar you do nothing but irritate players! The game already has a overly insane durability system where about ten strikes with a weapon will cause it to break. Throw in a stamina bar that is gone once I've swung my weapon five times, now I'm irritated with a broken weapon and no energy to even run away. This honestly completely ruined the game for me. At first it was a minor annoyance, beat one zombie to death, run away from the second til I have enough stamina to beat the second one. This was a great start, once you reach act two it gets ridculious!
   Let me explain, in the beginning all the zombies go down easy and as annoying as that stamina is, its bearable. Act two suddenly each zombie takes two to three full stamina bars to defeat. On top of that it takes two zombies and your weapons are basically broken. The game just becomes insanely irritating. There is no reason for it, because the game already throws ten zombies at you every five seconds. It just seems to me like the whole stamina and durability things are in Dead Island just as a irritation and nothing else.

   So let me ask you game developers, is it your goal to irritate me and make your disc a coaster on my coffee table?

-Infectedcrow





No comments:

Post a Comment